March 20, 2017
- CAMBODIA - The public in Cambodia has been warned not to eat pork from Viet Nam after an outbreak of a serious disease in pig farms across the border, local media reported on Tuesday, citing an official.
- US - Hog slaughter for the week ending 18 March was reported by USDA at 2.335 million head, 6.7 per cent higher than the same week a year ago, reports Steiner Consulting Group, DLR Division, Inc.
- CANADA - A representative with FGC Construction suggests the age of the barn, its layout and its ventilation will be among key factors to examine when evaluating its suitability for renovation, writes Bruce Cochrane.
- SPAIN - Genesus is pleased to announce that gilts are now available for purchase as a part of our partnership with Catalana de Pinsos for the production of breeding stock in Spain from “La Tor Nucleus Unit”.
- MEXICO - USMEF led directors of the National Pork Board (NPB) on a thorough review of the Mexican pork market this week, presenting a detailed overview of how US pork moves through that country’s distribution system and offering a look at new and innovative uses for US pork products.
- ANALYSIS - Thirty years into Porcine Respiratory and Reproductive Syndrome (PRRS) in North America, the industry is confident it can get PRRSv out of herds predictably, but the challenge continues to be reinfection of the breeding herd, said Dr. Roger Main, director of the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at Iowa State University.
- US - The US lean hog price is flat lining over the last couple weeks, hovering around $0.71/lb for 53-54 per cent lean hogs, writes Jim Long, President-CEO Genesus Inc.
March 19, 2017
- JAPAN - As US exporters met with hundreds of buyers and representatives of Japan’s retail and foodservice industries at FoodEx Japan, USMEF promoted US red meat by serving samples of US beef tongue and thin-sliced and fried US pork cutlets aimed at “on the go” customers.
- US - The latest update from our Ag officials in Mexico contained some interesting insights about that market, reports Steiner Consulting Group, DLR Division, Inc.
- CANADA - The Saskatchewan Pork Development Board reports producer interest in a programme to assist with the purchase of needle-free injection and euthanasia equipment has been building, according to Bruce Cochrane.